GET INSPIRED

Recent Work, Travels, + Adventures

MY KENNESAW APARTMENT FIRE AT SHILOH GREEN

Firemen arriving on scene

As some of you already know, we had a fire here in my apartment complex the other week. Although it turned out not to be as bad as it could have been, it was a pretty crazy and scary ordeal. We live on the 3rd floor and the fire started in the apartment across the hall from me. I was out on the balcony at the time and saw and smelled smoke pouring around the corner. The fire alarm went of shortly after that. I ran out front to figure out what was going on. The neighbors below us, already outside, started yelling for people to get out. I rushed inside, told Jessica and Holly to get the dogs and get out. Once they were safe, I grabbed the fire extinguisher from under the sink and ran across the hall to kick the door down. Probably not the brightest idea, but it seemed logical at the time. Just then, the fire department showed up, so I ran down stairs to let them handle it.

They raced up stairs and proceeded to get to work. The apartments in my building and the next building over were all evaluated. Everyone stood out front staring at the wall of smoke pouring from the roof top. Some people were calm; others frantic, and a lot of the children were in tears. I was the guy walking around with a camera. :) Although, as bad as it may sound, I was thinking about my computers and client files. Luckily, I backup everything in two different off-site locations for just that reason,  so I guess I wouldn’t really lose anything.

It was initially believed that a water heater pipe over heated and caught some insulation on fire, but later it was determined the resident apparently left a candle burning and it caught a chair on fire. It then spread through the living room and into the top of the building. The resident wasn’t even home, so no telling when she actually left. The apartment suffered a lot of fire and water damage, but clean up / repair has been quick. The apartments on the 1st and 2nd floor below, suffered water damage which is still being cleaned up as well. Luckily no one was hurt or killed.

I’ve always heard a statistic that a fire will happen in your home at least once in your lifetime; I wonder if this counts as mine?

Fire chief solving problems Fireman talking to worried apartment tenants Firemen prepping to fight fire Firemen working on fire clean up Firman's coat in smoky environment Burnt trash from fire at Shiloh Green Apartments Firemen cleaning up scene after fire Firemen cleaning up fire damage Firmen looking at fire damage to Shiloh Green Apartments Fire clean up efforts Shiloh Green Apartments Firemen looking at fire damage at Shiloh Green Apartments Firemen talking about fire damage at Shiloh Green Apartments Firmen in clean up efforts at Shiloh Green Apartments Trash from fire at Shiloh Green Apartments

2 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

  • AbbyJune 28, 2011 - 2:44 pm

    Gezz! I hope everyone is ok! :(ReplyCancel

  • KevinJuly 1, 2011 - 9:26 am

    Glad to hear everything is good. Great photos though.ReplyCancel